1.20.2011

Andrew mini-update

Andrew and Lincoln were really excited the first time it snowed, it didn't hang around but it was fun to watch for awhile.
Seeing this picture reminded me of the saying "watching the grass grow". Well, I've felt
like we've been watching it snow when it comes to Andrew's issues.

We saw a child psychologist in December and I was less than impressed. The office never sent us our pre-appointment paperwork and the doctor told me within the first 5 or 10 minutes that he didn't think we were dealing with ASD (autism spectrum disorder), that all his issues were likely ADHD. Then later he did a very unscientific "test" with a toy that Andrew responded to totally different than he expected and threw off his ADHD diagnosis. So... I decided to NOT go back. Instead we have taken some time to visit with other people about their experiences and we now have an appointment scheduled for next week for an initial consultation for Miles and I, without Andrew. Which already sounds WAY more appropriate for what we need.
School has been okay. He actually does really well academically (he is very intelligent), it's still the social/behavioral/adjusting to transitions that are the biggest struggle, with some improvement though. I still fear that he is falling between the cracks because of being in the mixed class with about half "normal" students and half that are developmentally delayed, and a lot worse than him.
Home has been a real struggle lately and I'm sure having Amelleah and having my own emotional issues doesn't help. We hope to learn what we are doing wrong, what we can do better, and what we should start doing. He has changed a lot since school started which is encouraging. At least I don't feel stuck but it is VERY slow changes... like watching the snow fall!
***If you are wondering what all this about Andrew is you can read it here

No comments: